Heather Brewer, Castleton Elementary School Nurse
518-732-7755, option 1

Shannon Hibbs, Maple Hill Junior/Senior High School Nurse
518-732-7701, option 1

Commonly Requested Health Forms

When to Keep a Child Home With Illness

To help families know when they should keep their children home with illness, our School Nurses have provided helpful reminders.


School nurses are often asked to administer medications at school. The following procedures are required if a student is to receive medication at school.

  • Medication must be delivered directly to the School Nurse by an adult.
  • A written order from a doctor indicating the name of the medication, the frequency, and the dosage is required. This also applies to over-the-counter medication such as Tylenol, Motrin, etc.
  • Written permission from a parent is required to provide medication prescribed by a doctor.
  • Please only send what is needed for the length of time that the medication will be given during school hours.
  • Medication will be kept at school. Parents must pick up any unused medication as students can not take medication home.
  • Medication must be in a properly labeled prescription bottle. Over-the-counter medication must be in the original bottle.



A current physical is required for athletic participation. Physicals are current for one year. The district recommends a student’s primary doctor conduct the physical. A limited number of physicals can be done at school. Please inform the School Nurse as soon as possible if the physical will be conducted at school.

Health History

A Health History Form must be completed by a parent before each sports season.


The Health Office must have a doctor’s order and parental permission for a child to take any medication while participating in a sport. The information will be shared with the child’s coach.

Injury or Illness

Students who have an illness or injury that prevents them from participating in physical education can not participate in a sport that day. A student with a note from a doctor stating they are unable to participate in physical education classes will not be able to participate in any sports activity. A note from a doctor is required to resume participation. If there are any concerns or questions, the student may be withheld from participation until approved by the school physician.


New York State requires students to have certain immunizations before attending school. A list is available here.

Mandated Health Screenings

  • Health examinations are required for grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and new students.
  • Vision screenings for color perception, distance, and near vision acuity are required for new students within six months of school admission. Distance and near vision acuity are required in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11.
  • Scoliosis screenings are required for boys in grade 9 and for girls in grades 5 and 7.
  • Hearing screenings are required for grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and new students.
  • A physical exam including Body Mass Index and Weight Status Category Information is required for grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 and new students. If your primary care provider completes this, please let the Health Office know. This exam can be dated anytime after September of the previous year. Students who have not had a physical when school begins in September will be scheduled for a physical at school.
  • A Dental Certificate Form is requested for grades K, 2, 4, 7, 10 and new students.

Working Papers Application

Education Law requires schools to issue employment certificates to students. Students must have a physical examination completed within the past year on file for the nurse to sign the Physical Fitness Certification Form.